Surrey's Historic Environment Record (HER) is maintained by the Heritage Conservation Team, Surrey County Council. It is the most comprehensive record of archaeological sites, finds and historic monuments within the current administrative county.
Formerly called the Sites and Monuments Record (SMR), the record has been expanded to include information relating to all aspects of the historic environment. In particular, information about historic buildings and landscape features, such as parks and gardens. Details of excavations and archaeological surveys are frequently added to the record together with environmental information. In 2007 the record was renamed the Historic Environment Record (HER) to reflect these changes. The archive currently contains over 22,459 records.
Surrey County Council charges contractors and consultants for commercial HER enquiries relating to planning matters. HER Enquires from the general public and academic researchers are not charged unless the enquiry is of a complex nature.
The charges are as follows:
- Standard Search (five to ten working days) – £75 per hour
- Priority Search (two working days) – £125 per hour
- PDF Maps in place of Shapefile Data – £25
For Tandridge Local Validation Requirement search requests and charges, please visit the Consulting the HER for Tandridge District Planning requirements webpage.
All charges shown are exclusive of VAT. Confirmation of time required to compile a HER search is sent upon receipt of an enquiry. Invoices are sent out to the HER user at the end of a month following completion of a search request.
Please note – only a summary of the HER database is available on ‘Exploring Surrey’s Past’ and therefore this should not be used for planning enquiries.
A summary of the database is now available to search online through the Exploring Surrey's Past website.
In this section...
- How do I consult the Surrey Historic Environment Record?
- How you can help the Historic Environment Record
- Surrey Historic Environment Record - guidelines for users
- What information does the Historic Environment Record contain?
- What is the Historic Environment Record used for?
- Who to contact about the Historic Environment Record
- Consulting the HER for Tandridge District planning requirements