Skip to main content

Contact us about rights of way

Report a right of way problem or general enquiry

If you would like to report fly-tipping or an abandoned vehicle on a public right of way or other public land, please report this to your district or borough council.

To report a specific problem on a public right of way or to make a general enquiry, please use our online rights of way reporting form.

We prioritise all reports carefully and deal with immediate and significant safety issues first. This may mean some issues, such as path waymarking or boundary investigations have to wait until one of our staff is next in the area and available to investigate the matter. We divide the county into four areas and one member of staff deals with each area. Some issues, such as minor vegetation clearance and path waymarking are often carried out for us by local volunteers.

Our Maintenance and Enforcement Priority Statement sets out which issues we deal with first. Please see the pdf at the bottom of this page.  


If you have an issue requiring immediate action on a public right of way contact either:

1. Surrey County Council during normal office hours on 0300 200 1003. Our Contact Centre will contact relevant staff immediately. If this is not possible or appropriate they will contact the Police.

2. If the issue is out of normal office hours or a Police matter, please report the issue to Surrey Police.

  • For emergencies such a serious crime or accident always dial 999.
  • Surrey Police can be contacted by phone on 101 or 01483 571212.
  • Non-urgent minor crimes/incidents can also be reported direct to the Police online

Contact us by telephone

0300 200 1003 

Contact us by post

Surrey County Council
Countryside Access Team
Whitebeam Lodge
Merrow Depot
Merrow Lane

Files available to download

Please rate this page?

Rate as Good Rate as Average Rate as Poor

Page information

  • Updated: 21 Oct 2015
  • Send to a friend


Please rate this page