The Greensand Way offers an outstanding day out for all ages and abilities, whether you're a long-distance walker wanting to experience the whole 108 mile route, or fancy a short walk through some of our most beautiful countryside.
The Way follows the ridge of greensand rock across Surrey and Kent, starting in Haslemere and finishing in Hamstreet, just short of the Kentish coast. This sandstone rock, containing the green coloured mineral glauconite (also known as 'green sand'), gives the route its distinctive name.
The late Geoffrey Hollis initially conceived the Greensand Way as a route in Surrey for the Ramblers, opened in 1982. The Ramblers' Association later extended the route into Kent, which was completed by 1989 and they produced the first guide for the route. Grateful thanks are given to Surrey Ramblers who assist with route checking, signage reporting and who continue to provide volunteer help on route repairs on this as well as other Surrey rights of way.
The route through Surrey
In Surrey, the Greensand Way covers 57 miles and can be identified by the letters 'GW' and a drawing of Leith Hill Tower on waymarks found along the route. It has been split into 10 sections of between 3 and 8 miles each (see below). The general route is as follows:
- Starts in Haslemere
- Passes the Devils Punchbowl at Hindhead
- Traverses the main Surrey hills of Hascombe, Pitch, Holmbury and Leith
- Descends north to Dorking, Reigate and into Kent just before Limpsfield
- Provides links to other long distance routes such as the North Downs Way National Trail and the Reigate and Banstead Millennium Trail
- For details of the route through Kent, visit: www.kent.gov.uk/explorekent
The route takes in two Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty: the Surrey Hills and the Kent Downs, as well as numerous Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). It leads walkers through quiet, remote areas and along paths which, while often hilly, offer unparalleled views across the Weald to the south and towards the North Downs.
There are many villages along the route too, offering local pubs and village shops as resting places for weary walkers. And for those looking for easy access, there are excellent links to railway stations and main roads
Route Map Information
You are advised to use these maps in conjunction with an OS Explorer Series map – numbers 133, 145, 146, 147 cover the entire Surrey section and provide more detail. For a key to map symbols, see the Ordnance Survey website.
Most sections of the walk follow legally defined rights of way. If you experience a problem on a public right of way, please use the our fault reporting form to notify us or call 03456 009 009 for our contact centre.
Where public transport is available, information is given in the walk directions. You can get more detailed transport information including bus and train timetables, on our Buses and trains page or by visiting the Travel Smart journey planner.
Waymarking and signing
The Greensand Way waymarks are used to show the line of the route in the countryside. You will see them fixed to waymark posts, or posts of gates or stiles. The walk has been waymarked in such a way that it is possible to walk the route in either direction.
In Surrey the route is waymarked by circular discs with a sketch of Leith Hill Tower and GW around it in the centre of the directional arrow. These are yellow on black for a public footpath, blue on white for a public bridleway and red on white for public byways. (see below).
Where the Greensand Way crosses or leaves a metalled road there are small brown and white Greensand Way notices attached to the wooden public footpath, bridleway or byway signposts indicating that the Greensand Way follows the signed route.
How to use our downloadable guide
We have divided the route into 10 sections of between 3 and 8 miles, as downloadable pdfs. Each pdf provides a map, step by step walking directions, mostly following rights of way and in an easterly direction only, as well as a guide to the interesting features you may discover en route. Take note of the Countryside Code * Be safe, plan ahead and follow any signs. * Leave gates as you find them. * Protect plants and animals and take your litter home. * Keep dogs under close control, especially near cattle.
Haslemere to Gibbet Hill
About the walk
- Start address: Old Town Hall 15 High St, Haslemere GU27 2HG [check]
- Distance: 3.25 miles
- Approximate time: 1.5 hours
- Grid reference: Haslemere: SU 905328, Gibbet Hill: SU 899360
The following letters correspond with the trail directions on the map.
A. From the old Town Hall in Haslemere walk along the left side of the High Street (A286 to Guildford). Twenty five yards past The Georgian Hotel turn left between buildings and follow the footpath to Church Lane. GSW sign on brickwork.
B. Cross the road and turn left over the railway bridge. Bear right at the triangle below St Bartholomew's Church, then continue up High Lane for 250 yards. At Ventnor, cross to the left side of the road, then bear right, up a narrow path, between fences. Cross the road and take the field path downhill.
C. Turn left along Bunch Lane for 100 yards, then turn right, up Stoatley Hollow. Bear left beside farm buildings and continue uphill. Bear right, beside Puckfold, onto a rough semi-metalled track. Turn right at the T-junction, and continue for 380 yards.
D. Bear left opposite Little Scotstoun. Follow the path through woodland and over heath, then go steeply downhill for 650 yards ignoring all side tracks. Cross a broad track in the valley bottom. Go ahead uphill. At the top continue ahead, skirting gardens. At a junction of tracks take the central track ahead. Continue almost to the road (old A3).
E. Turn back through 45 degrees. Follow a broad, sandy track across Hindhead Common for 710 yards. At a seat beneath trees, leave the main track to bear left uphill. Cross an open space where five ways meet. Walk ahead over Gibbet Hill, leaving the triangulation point on your right and the Celtic Cross to your left.
What to see
The following numbers correspond with locations of the interesting features on the map.
- Haslemere The town remained small and isolated until the 19th century. Old maps show clusters of houses only around the High Street and St Bartholomew's Church.
- Town Hall Originally built in the 17th century, the Town Hall was rebuilt in a similar style in 1814. It used to have arcades, with the ground floor open.
- High Street In the High Street the Town House, with Doric doorcase, dates from 1725. Sir Edward Whymper, first to climb the Matterhorn, once lived here.
- Haslemere Educational Museum Sir Jonathan Hutchinson, a distinguished surgeon at the London Hospital, founded this museum in 1888.
- Church Hill house The walls and gate piers of this 18th century house are listed monuments as well as the Queen Anne-style house itself. Church Hill Gate was once the stables.
- St Bartholomew's Church The church tower dates from the 13th century. The rest of the church was rebuilt in the late 19th century. A window by Burne-Jones commemorates the poet Tennyson who lived on Blackdown one mile away.
- Gibbet Hill The Celtic Cross, made of Cornish granite, marks the place where three robbers were hanged on 24 September 1776, for the murder of an unknown sailor on the London to Portsmouth road.
Gibbet Hill to Witley Station
About the walk
- Start address:
- Distance: 7.5 mile
- Approximate time: 4 hours plus
- Grid reference: Gibbet Hill SU 899360
- Walk ahead past the Celtic Cross. Start downhill then bear left into a beech wood along a broad surfaced track. Continue downhill on an unsurfaced track for 875 yards to where the old A3 road used to run (now a surfaced path). Cross over and bear right up a broad track then follow the main track along the side of the Devil's Punch Bowl. Continue over the heath, gradually descending for 950 yards down a very rough stony track. At cross tracks just before trees, go ahead along a sunken path, beside woodland, to the road.
- Bear right along the road. After 400 yards, turn left through the gate to the right of Hedge Farm. Where the main driveway bears left, go ahead along a narrow path. Continue round the garden hedge and turn right, going over stiles. Follow the field edge for 450 yards, crossing a stile half-way down. Cross a stile at the bottom of the field, bear left, then right and go down a narrow lane to Smallbrook Farm.
- Turn right into the field opposite Smallbrook Farm and walk towards a kissing gate stile in the right-hand corner. Continue ahead, crossing kissing gate, then follow the fenced path to Thursley churchyard.
- Bear right past the church. Climb over steps in the churchyard wall to reach the road. Turn left down Highfield Lane. Where the road bends left, walk up the track ahead. Turn right at the top, then go left through a metal swing gate into a field. Bear right across the field to a swing gate, then turn left along a fenced path to a service road.
- Turn right along the service road signposted Greensand Way and horse margin. Turn left through the underpass and cross under the A3. Turn left along service road and continue down to the gates of Cosford House. Turn right towards Cosford Farm. After 500 yards turn left to pass Cosford Farm and continue along a grass track with a pond on your right. 90 yards past the pond, bear left up stone steps beside a wall. When the wall ends, continue uphill, crossing two broader paths, to the kissing gate at the edge of a field. Cross the field, over a stile and through a kissing gate, to reach the road.
- Cross the road. Go through a gate ahead, then walk between trees towards Heath Hall. Cross stile and turn left, then follow the field edge for 220 yards. Turn left, down steps, to a lane. Go through the gate opposite, walk ahead across two fields, then go over a stile and through a gate to reach the driveway at the entrance to Lower House.
- Go ahead through a tall kissing gate and down a field path into parkland. Cross onto a sandy drive. Follow a broad track up through parkland for 310 yards. Turn left immediately after a gateway. Go through a metal kissing gate. Bear right to follow a woodland path downhill to a kissing gate. Turn left onto the road and walk for 440 yards to the road (A286 Milford to Haslemere Road), 330 yards to the north of Brook village.
- Cross the road. Walk ahead up a track through woodland. After 400 yards, turn right at a path junction ignoring path signs to Heath Hills Wood. Follow the footpath for 160 yards, leaving woodland to your right, then bear left into a field and continue for 600 yards along the field edge, again with woodland on your right. Go down steps to the road, turn left and continue for 70 yards.
- Turn sharp right downhill at junction of the roads. After 440 yards, after Sebastopol Lane, turn right along a narrow footpath into woodland. At seat and bench, turn left down a steep slope (slippery when wet) to track and Brook Road. Cross this, then head down a broad track marked 'Keithley's'. Continue for 800 yards, over the railway bridge, (Witley station to your right) turn left along track to the road.
What to see
- The Hindhead Tunnel The longest under-land road tunnel in England taking A3 traffic under Hindhead Commons and skirting the edge of the Devil's Punch Bowl. The Tunnel project has allowed the old A3 bottleneck to be closed and returned to nature, enabling the reunification of the National Trust land either side, creating the largest heathland restoration project in the South East.
- Devil's Punch Bowl This huge hollow has been formed over many thousands of years, by water seeping out from the spring line between the Hythe Beds and the Atherfield Clay.
- Hindhead Common Exmoor ponies and Highland cattle have been introduced to graze the slopes and maintain the heathland as it was created by grazing animals over 800 years ago.
- Church of St Michael and All Angels, Thursley In the churchyard you will find the stone erected in memory of the sailor murdered on Gibbet Hill. Eight chest tombs recall local 18th century residents, more prosperous in their day than the sailor, but less wellknown.
- Bowlhead Green A small hamlet between the parishes of Witley and Thursley. Bowlhead Green has a superb collection of buildings, including barn and carthouse, dating from the 16th to the 18th century.
- Banacle Common Also known as Bannicle Hill, the Common served as one of the Admiralty Semaphore hills for a signalling system devised in 1816 and used between London and Portsmouth.
- Sandhills The artists Miles Burkett Foster and Helen Allingham were among the intelligentsia who discovered Sandhills in the late 19th century and settled here.
- Wormley The station, opened here on 24 January 1859 was known as Witley for Chiddingfold until 1947. The village grew further from 1867, when King Edward's School nearby was founded 'for 240 destitute children of both sexes'.
Witley Station to Gatestreet Farm
About the walk
- Distance: 6 miles
- Approximate time: 3 hours plus
- Grid reference: Grafham TQ011419
- Cross the road and turn right (or left if coming from Witley station). Turn left (or right if coming from station) along a footpath opposite Robin Way. Turn left along the road (A283) for 30 yards, then turn right up a side road for 300 yards. Bear left up a sandy track. After 380 yards bear right at Moor Cottage and continue uphill. Follow the footpath around the hilltop above Hambledon Common. Pass an old seat, then bear left down to the road at Hambledon.
- Turn left along Malthouse Lane. Go past Woodlands Road on the right and after 100 yards bear right up some steps behind cottages. Bear right through kissing gates over fields to turn right past Hambledon Church. Bear right through the car park along a broad track. After 930 yards turn right at a T junction. In 30 yards turn left up a narrow path.
- Walk beside the wood edge, then bear right down hill through woods along a broad path for 220 yards. Fork left and continue below the woods of Burgate Hangar for almost half a mile to Markwick Lane.
- Turn left along road for 80 yards, then turn right up steeply banked track. When you reach level ground continue along broad track for just over half a mile, ignoring all side tracks. Just after the path starts to descend turn right at path junction, then in 20 yards turn sharp left onto descending path that gradually broadens right through beech hanger. In 190 yards, as the track starts to turn right, bear left onto steeply descending footpath to go through gate at bottom. Walk along edge of field, go through gate to reach bridleway. Walk straight ahead to main road opposite the White Horse Inn in Hascombe village. Cross road and take side road to the left of the Inn.
- Follow the road past St Peter's Church and the pond. Bear left and continue to the road end. Go ahead through the gateway and walk up a drive. Go through a smaller gate onto a sandy track uphill. Keep ahead to go past a barn into woodland. Ignore a left fork and continue to cross tracks.
- Turn left along a broad path, then turn right after 300 yards down a deeply sunken path. Turn left at a T-junction to follow the track to the road. Turn right and walk along the road for 45 yards. G Turn left, 110 yards before the barn of Scotsland Farm, along a footpath between hedges. Continue through coppiced woodland and follow the path left into a field. Go ahead onto a farm track out of the field in the far left-hand corner.
- Follow the track downhill through the Wintershall Estate, then veer left up a grassy track between firs. Cross a gravel track, go through gate and then head downhill across the field, leaving tennis courts to your right towards a concrete farm track by a right-hand fence. Turn left along the farm track, past farm buildings and continue along abroad track, with woods on your right, to Gatestreet Barn. Turn left at the road.
What to see
- 1Oakhurst Cottage The late 17th century cottage, owned by the National Trust, survives as it was in the 19th century. It houses part of the Gertrude Jekyll collection of West Surrey Bygones.
- Hambledon Village Shop Purchased by the Hambledon Village Trust in 2003, this shop is now run by the people of the village as a Post Office, grocers and small tea-shop.
- Malthouse Lane, Hambledon In the process known as galleting, pieces of ironstone used to be inserted into the mortar in local houses. Said to keep the Devil away, it really saved mortar and added strength.
- Court Farm The farm was first built in the 17th century. The granary, also with hung tiles, dates from the 18th century.
- Lime Kiln The lime kiln, long disused, was first built in the 18th century. Before the lime kiln was constructed, local people used to dig marl from the ground to spread on the fields as fertiliser.
- Burgate Hangar The slopes of Burgate Hangar have been made steeper by landslips. They now provide a spectacular setting for hanging beeches.
- Markwick Lane Old lanes leading from the clay valley to the north, over the high ground of the Greensand ridge and down to the Weald were frequently cut deeply into the sandstone of the Hythe Beds.
- St Peter's Church, Hascombe In this church, rebuilt by Henry Woodyer in 1864, the chancel roof is designed as an upturned fishing boat. A stained glass window depicting the patron saint continues the fishing theme.
- Hascombe Village The village pond has served as both fish pond and millpond in its time. Shown on maps as marshy land at the beginning of the 20th century, it is now fully restored.
- Hascombe Hill Iron Age Celts built a fortified camp here towards the end of the 1st century BC. It had a single ditch and rampart across a narrow neck of land and just one entrance.
- Scotsland Farm The catslide roof of the 17th century barn is one of the most prominent of its kind. Picturesquely named, the catslide provided an economic way of covering an extension used to house animals.
Gatestreet, Grafham to Pitch Hill
About the walk
- Start address:
- Distance: 6 miles
- Approximate time: 3 hours plus
- Grid reference: Grafham TQ011419
- Turn left along a farm track. Then 275 yards past Keepers follow bridleway to the right of a gate. Continue for half a mile, turning right and then left along a metalled lane.
- Go ahead over a cattle grid beside Brookwell, then over a stile. Walk ahead along the field edge and to the right of an oak tree. Continue between fences to the road (A281).
- Cross the road then turn left. Turn right through Rooks Hill Farm. Cross the old railway (Downs Link footpath and bridleway) and the line of the disused canal. Continue ahead on a narrow footpath downhill to cross a footbridge. Walk up the slope to the road and cross road to path opposite and walk to a gate at Long Common.
- Go through the gateway, then ahead between fields. Cross a farm track then continue between fences to the road at Shamley Green. Buses run frequently to Guildford.
- Cross the road and walk ahead to the right of the church. Continue through kissing gates to a T-junction. Turn right to a second T-junction. Turn right and walk along the drive to Little Cucknells. Go downhill at the house entrance, keep ahead on the footpath to the road at Stroud Farm.
- Turn right. After 100 yards bear left along the drive to Shamley Farm. Go through a white gate into a field with the drive on your left. Where drive bears left go ahead up path between hedges. Take left fork where the fence starts on left, cross a stile and walk uphill through young woodland. At end of woodland pass a large pond by Wilmshurst Farm and go uphill to a stile and T-junction.
- Turn right. Continue uphill to a fork and bear left uphill through woodland. Keep right to walk along a broad sandy path to the road. Bear left across the road and go up steps to a Hurtwood Control car park.
- Bear right from the far right-hand corner of the car park, then follow the track continuing as it narrows. Ignore all side paths. At a T junction, turn left and keep right uphill to join track and turn right. Walk along edge of Hurtwood Control car park no 5 on your left and continue ahead. Cross a drive and go ahead to the road. Turn right and go ahead alongside the road.
- Just beyond Jelley's Hollow bear right and then left and follow a path uphill parallel to the road until you meet a crossing track very close to the road. Turn right and then almost immediately bear left on a path. Follow this path ignoring side paths until you come to a T-junction. Turn right and follow the main path bearing left and continue past a viewing point and then follow the path to Hurtwood Control car park no 4.
- Cross the car park to the road, turn right to a T-junction and then cross the road. Walk up the track opposite. Pass Ewhurst Cottage, then Ewhurst Windmill on your right. Continue to Four Winds and descend a gully to the road. Cross into Hurtwood Control car park no. 3. Turn right and follow the footpath uphill, past a quarry, for 490 yards to the top of Pitch Hill. Make for the Trig Point.
What to see
- A Greensand Way pioneer One of the kissing gates at Plonks Farm has a plaque inscribed 'Dedicated to Tony Parker, OBE, Ramblers Association – Green Sand Way pioneer 19-08-1994
- Wey and Arun Canal The canal left the Wey Navigation at Shalford and rose 48 feet in six miles through seven locks to Cranleigh before descending into West Sussex at Newbridge.
- Shamley Green The name of Shamley may come from Shamble Lane, referring to the shelf of land on which the village lies.
- Winterfold Heath The heath is common land managed by The Hurtwood Control Trust on behalf of the principal owners, the Bray family who were given the land by Henry VII over 500 years ago. In the last century RA Bray, the Lord of the Manor of Shere granted the public a 'right to roam', a pioneering example of a landowner welcoming the public onto his land to walk, ride or cycle.
- Jelley's Hollow Traces of a possible Roman road have been found, running up the hollow towards Winterfold Heath. A road came from Stane Street and passed the site of a Roman temple at Farley Heath.
- Ewhurst Windmill Probably the highest windmill in Surrey, this tower mill was first built in about 1840. Corn-milling ceased here around 1885.
Pitch Hill to Broadmoor
About the walk
- Start address:
- Distance: 6.25 miles
- Approximate time: 3 hours 25 minute
- Grid reference: Pitch Hill (TQ083423) to Broadmoor (TQ136457)
- Pass the Trig point and cross the open area and take the narrow path ahead and follow it until a path joins at an acute angle from the left. Turn back left along this path and follow it downhill along the hill edge. At a joining path bear right, follow this path past a seat. Just past the seat where the path goes uphill bear right down a narrow path to meet a metalled track
- Turn left onto a metalled track. Go through a metal barrier, and continue along a broad track. Pass a footpath entering from the right and then turn right at the next footpath. Follow the footpath downhill, then go down steps to the Duke of Kent School. Turn left along the drive.
- Cross the road and take the footpath ahead into woodland. Follow the fenced path up a slope to a stile. Continue on a fenced path across fields and at the top of a slope bear right along a drive and go though a wooden barrier. Turn sharp left along a track going uphill and bear right at the first turning. Follow this path for a short way to a road, cross it and go into Hurtwood Control car park (no 1).
- Turn right to leave the car park and cross a gully. Go up steps and follow the footpath ahead uphill. After 540 yards cross the rampart of Holmbury Hill Fort. Make for the memorial seat on the summit. Follow the path skirting the hillside down to wooden barriers, then turn left. Continue along the hillside and then downhill. Swing left to merge with a broad track after 560 yards. Turn right at a junction of five tracks.
- Follow a broad path past a cricket pitch on your left. At next junction, fork right and follow track down to Holmbury Hill Road. Turn left and then bear right after 80 yards where the road forks and continue to the main road (B2126 Abinger Hammer to Horsham road).
- Turn right, then first left. After 260 yards turn right up a rough sandy track and follow the undulating path for one mile.
- Walk uphill to pass High Ashes Farm on your left. Ignoring a downhill right-hand turn, continue to the T-junction.
- Turn right along a gravel track. Ignoring paths to left and right, continue to a T-junction. Turn left. Bear right across the road. Go ahead up a broad track to reach Leith Hill Tower after 980 yards. Walk ahead past the tower, going downhill, for 220 yards.
- Turn left at a junction of five tracks. Walk down hill for 1½ miles, continuing ahead where the track goes back to Warren Farm. Turn right and walk along a lane for 15 yards.
What to see
32 Duke of Kent School Built in 1885, by Ernest George and Peto, the school still has tiles made by Dalton's Tile Works.
33 Holmbury Hill Not long before the Roman Conquest, Iron Age Celts settled on Holmbury Hill, building a fort that covered eight acres. Roughly cleared hearths suggest they had to abandon the fort in haste.
34 Memorial Seat The seat was erected in memory of Reginald and Jocelyn Bray (1869-1964) who gave the Hurtwood to the public for 'air and exercise'.
35 Holmbury St Mary The village grew up in late Victorian times, combining two small hamlets. St Mary's Church was designed in perpendicular style by G E Street, the architect who also designed the Law Courts in London.
36 Leith Hill Place Wood Leith Hill Place Wood is one of the few areas where ancient semi-natural woodland has survived. Like other woods along the scarp face it provides a habitat for rare birds.
37 Leith Hill Tower Mr Richard Hull, who lived at Leith Hill Place, gained permission from Mr Evelyn of Wotton to build a tower as a Prospect House in 1765. It was later raised to 1,029 feet. Thirteen counties may be seen from the top on a clear day and it's the highest point in southeast England.
38 The Duke's Warren Once heavily grazed, these slopes are now covered by secondary woodland. From the 1870s until the First World War the slopes were planted with firs for commercial woodland.
39 Tilling Springs The River Tillingbourne rises on the dip slope as springs emerge from the junction of the Hythe Beds and the Atherfield Clay.
40 Broadmoor Cottages were built here in the 1880s round a central reading room. Broadmoor became a popular halfway house for tourists between Westcott and Leith Hill.
Broadmoor to Deepdene
About the walk
- Distance: miles
- Approximate time: hours
www.surreycc.gov.uk/explore @ExploreSurreyUK map 6 Broadmoor (TQ136457) to Deepdene (Dorking) (TQ175491) 5½ miles, allow 2¾ hours
- A Bear right along a track. Cross the River Tillingbourne and walk down the right side of the valley, following the main track for one mile to a private drive.
- B Bear right along the drive for 35 yards. Reach a lane and turn sharp right along a footpath beside a cinder track. Bear right at the junction of tracks, then turn left under a beech tree and follow a footpath, going downhill through woodland. Bear right at a metalled drive and continue to pass the entrance pillars to Rookery Drive at Westcott.
- C Turn right along a sandy path and continue uphill past a quarry. At a T-junction keep ahead on the footpath. Cross a lane, bear left and continue along Westcott Heath, running parallel with the lane. Cross a lane that leads left downhill to Holy Trinity Church. Continue ahead through more woodland to Heath Rise, just above The Cricketers.
- D Cross Heath Rise. Continue ahead along a footpath behind gardens. Go through a barrier and across a metalled parking area behind houses. Continue along a hedged path, then pass a field entrance and continue downhill.
- E Cross a footbridge over a stream. Turn left, then turn right after 90 yards and go up steps. Go through a gate and turn left along a metalled track. Walk along the lane for 330 yards.
- F At small clearing in woodland, turn right just past a horse barrier. Bear right where the path forks after 45 yards. Continue uphill through trees to reach The Temple at the top of The Nower. Continue ahead past The Temple for 550 yards.
- G Turn left at a seat and go down the slope to the far right-hand corner of a field. At the end of beech hedging turn right between hedges. Go to the left of a gate and cross Hampstead Lane. Turn right, then left along Nower Road. Continue for 165 yards.
- H Turn right by a post box and walk ahead to continue along a footpath leading down-hill. Go through barriers onto the pavement by Vincent Lane (A25/A2003 in town one-way system). Go round the left of the barrier to cross the road ahead (Vincent Lane) and then go into South Street to regain the original direction. Use the pedestrian crossing to cross to the right hand side of South Street. Turn left. Cross road (A2003), using the central reservation, and go up a narrow path to the right of The Queen's Head.
- I Go between barriers at the top. Turn right along Peacock Walk, then turn left between barriers into St Paul's Road. Where the road bears right, uphill, into South Terrace, go ahead along St Paul's Road West.
- J Turn right just before St Paul's C of E School. Go through a gate and continue ahead uphill. Go through another gate into The Glory Wood. Immediately turn left onto a crossing path. Through woods, bend right with the path, then left, uphill. Descend steeply to 3-way finger post. Then bear left and walk down to join the road.
- K Turn right at Chart Lane to reach the main road (A24). Cross Deepdene Avenue, using the central reservation. Turn left along the road for 10 yards, then turn sharp right, uphill. Where the track bears right, turn left, and go uphill to steps. Follow a broad track to a horse barrier. Turn left onto a metalled track by Deepdene End.
What to see
41 Tillingbourne Falls A Dutch merchant named Jacobson built the ornamental waterfall around 1740 as part of the Evelyns' garden landscape scheme. It took its head of water from ponds at a mill upstream at Brookmill.
42 Wolven's Lane The name means 'foul or muddy fen' referring to the damp slopes. Smugglers used this ancient road in the 18th and early 19th century to bring contraband to London from the south coast.
43 River Tillingbourne The River Tillingbourne rises from springs at the junction of the Hythe Beds and the Atherfield Clay on the dip slope of the Lower Greensand.
44 Pipp Brook This important tributary of the River Mole flows through Dorking. At one time it supported seven watermills and one water-pumping mill in its five-mile length, including Pixham Mill, at Dorking.
45 The Rookery In 1759, David Malthus, father of Thomas Malthus, the economist, bought the Rookery estate. The two ornamental lakes were part of his landscaping. Before that two watermills stood on the stream.
46 Holy Trinity Church, Westcott Known as Westcote in Domesday Book, at the west end of the parish of Dorking. Westcott only acquired its own church in 1851-2 on land given by the Evelyn family. Sir George Gilbert-Scott designed it in 14th century style.
47 The Nower The Nower belonged to Osbert del Ore in 1247. Its modern name first appeared when it was owned by Thomas ate Nore in the 14th century.
48 The Temple The Temple and its seat were built early in the 20th century by the Barclay family who gave the Nower to Dorking in 1931.
49 Dorking Dorking became a market centre for outlying districts as early as Saxon times. In medieval times timber from the local hillsides was transported through Dorking for use in London and other larger towns.
50 St Martin's Church, Dorking St Martin's Church was built between 1868 and 1877 following a design by Hendy Woodyer, in late-Gothic style.
51 Tumulus A bowl barrow found here was used by people from late Stone Age to Bronze Age times, from between 2400 and 1500 BC.
52 The Glory Wood In the mid-19th century a group of firs known as The Glory, stood out on the hilltop. Beech trees began to cover the slopes later in the century.
53 Deepdene House From the 17th century, successive owners built houses or added wings to a palatial house here, renowned for its stylish design.
54 Box Hill Named after the evergreen box tree which grows on its slopes above the River Mole, Box Hill offers a mixture of habitats, some mature woodland, some open chalk downland. In winter sheep graze its thousand acres to help to conserve the plant life.
Deepdene to Reigate Park
About the walk
- Distance: miles
- Approximate time: hours
www.surreycc.gov.uk/explore @ExploreSurreyUK map 7 Deepdene (Dorking) (TQ175491) to Reigate Park (TQ247494) 6 miles, allow 3 hours
A. Turn left onto a metalled track by Deepdene End. Turn right at the T-junction, then right again along Punchbowl Lane. Turn let onto the driveway to Park Farm.
B. Go ahead to pass farm buildings. Go under the railway bridge, and continue beside the old hedgeline. At the end of the field turn right, then immediately left, and cross a stile. Go ahead along the field edge and through a stile/gate, then continue to the next field corner. Cross the stile. Turn left to another stile by Pondtail Farm.
C. Cross a farm road, then continue ahead over three stiles. Turn right along a farm track. Turn left at the end, along the road to Brockham village green. Cross the green and continue, passing the Royal Oak and the Grumpy Mole. Continue to a wooden gate at the end of the road.
D. Turn left along a metalled path. Cross the bridge over the River Mole and bear right along the lane above the river. Turn right to pass behind houses and cross a bridge. Continue ahead beside fields for 770 yards. Go ahead through gates beside a farm. Cross a driveway and take the path through the churchyard to the right of the Church of St Michael and All Angels, Betchworth. Go through the stone gateway and ahead past Forge Cottage.
E. Cross the road with the Dolphin Inn on your left, and go ahead along Wonham Lane. Walk for 200 yards and then climb steps on the left to join a path above the road. Continue parallel with the road, then bear left into a field and follow the hedge on your right to the near righthand corner of the field.
F. Turn left along Sandy Lane and walk up to a T-junction. Turn right, then, in 25 yards, turn right again, up steep steps and continue to go through kissing gate and continue ahead. After 165 yards, cross a stile and bear left across the field to a gate and stile in the far left-hand corner. Cross the stile, then turn right and almost immediately go through the kissing gate on the far side of the lane.
G. Go ahead, with the hedge on your left, to a metal kissing gage. Continue ahead, with first a hedge and then a fence on your right, to another kissing gate and follow a small path to the road. Turn right down a farm lane (Dungates Lane). Turn left through Dungate's farmyard with farm buildings either side. Walk for ¼ mile to a Y-junction.
H. Bear right through a double gate and follow a broad track diagonally across a field. Ignoring a gate on your right, continue through a wooden gate until you arrive at a cottage. Go ahead at a cross track to follow the path across a golf course fairway up towards the windmill. Keep to the right of the windmill and clubhouse and walk along a track through the golf club's car park.
I. 20 yards before the track turns sharp left, turn right (not sharp right) down a footpath. Cross a road and a fairway and follow the metalled track past The White House. At Bracken House bear right uphill into woodland, passing Ivy Cottage and Tile House on the left. Go ahead down a narrow track. Continue past the front of the Skimmington Castle public house and walk down the slope ahead to a cross bridleway.
J. Turn right along the bridleway to reach a lane. Bear left along the lane that climbs uphill to a road. Cross the road and go up steps. At the top of the steps bear left steeply uphill, ignoring paths to right then left until the path flattens out in Reigate Park.
What to see
55 Park Farm First built in the 1550s, this farm became the home farm for Deepdene. The red brick and tiles cover timber framing.
56 Betchworth Park In the Middle Ages a castle stood beside the River Mole, to the north of Betchworth Park. The park was later renowned for its chestnuts and its elm avenues.
57 Quarries Chalk pits and lime works produced hearthstone and firestone as well as lime for agricultural use. The works were known for the Brockham Continuous Lime Kiln patented there in 1889. Bricks were produced into the 20th century.
58 Christchurch, Brockham Designed by Benjamin Ferrey, a pupil of the architect Pugin, and completed in 1846, this church was built from carefully selected stone from the quarries at Betchworth. Before it was built villagers went to church in Betchworth.
59 River Mole Some say the river takes its name from the animal since, on occasions during drought, it flows underground between Dorking and Leatherhead. Others claim that the Latin Mola for Mill is more apt in view of the many watermills the river powered.
60 Betchworth village The name of The Dolphin Inn is thought to have come from the French Dauphin who may have passed this way.
61 Old Industry The Dorking Greystone Lime Company, who also took over the Brockham works, operated the chalk pits and lime works between 1865 and 1934.
62 Dungate's Farm The house and barn have stood here since the late 16th century. Stephen Dungate of Betchworth is recorded as the owner in 1731.
63 Reigate Heath Long barrows on the north of the Heath reveal a Neolithic burial site. Settlers in the region may have traded between Stonehenge and the Low Countries.
64 Reigate Heath Mill A post mill was built here around 1765. The mill ceased working in about 1870 and was converted to a chapel of ease to St Mary's Parish Church, Reigate in 1880
Reigate Park to Castle Hill
About the walk
- Distance: miles
- Approximate time: hours
www.surreycc.gov.uk/explore @ExploreSurreyUK map 8 Reigate Park (TQ247494) to Castle Hill (TQ320505) 7 miles, allow 3½ hours
A Go ahead along a broad sandy track across Reigate Park, passing seats on your right. Walk past a monument, ignoring a path bearing right just before it. Walk downhill through trees. Just before reaching a minor road coming in your right, bear left along a metalled path to reach the main road (A217).
B Cross the road at the traffic island. Turn right, crossing St. Mary's Road and Lymden Gardens. Bear left up Isbells Drive, terraced above the main road, continuing on a narrow metalled path to reach the end of a cul-de-sac.
C Continue along the cul-de-sac, passing Orewell Gardens on your left. At the start of Hilltop Road on your right go ahead on the path between fences. Turn right at a junction in front of a garage then left at metal barriers. Cross Furzefield Crescent, keeping to the left of a green. Cross Cornfield Road and continue ahead along a gravel path between garden fences. Take the left fork and walk along a sandy track to the left of woodland.
D Turn right at a road (Cronks Hill), crossing it to turn left into Cronks Hill Road. Take the second path on the left through metal barriers (opposite Hollowdene). Continue until you reach the edge of Redhill Common. Turn right just past The Lodge then left onto a drive to reach a road.
E Cross the road at the bus stops then just to the right of Abinger Drive bear left onto a path between trees. At a cross track keep ahead to a golf course. Keeping to the left of a small clump of trees by the 18th tee and to the right of a green, head a short distance down the left-hand side of a fairway to reach a gravel path at a gap in the trees. Continue along this path until you reach a raised tee with steps. Pass to the left of this, continuing along a sandy track.
F Turn left at cross tracks and walk along a raised bank with Earlswood Lake on your right. At the end of the lake cross concrete steps and continue through trees towards woodland and another part of the golf course. Bear left between fairways along a gravel path, passing to the right of two stepped tees. Bear right at a green to reach a road (A23).
G Turn left along the pavement. After 300 yards cross the road and follow the road opposite through metal bollards. Go under the railway bridge then bear left along a road passing the Royal Earlswood Day Nursery on the left.
H Passing two lodges to your right, go straight ahead along a path at the point where the road bears right.
I Turn right at a junction of tracks. Walk along the footpath with Redhill Brook on your left, ignoring a stile on your right by a pond. Cross the next stile then go ahead across a field to a gap in a fence. Bear left across a field then fork left to reach a stile. Cross this then bear left on a path between wire fences. Go over a stile, cross a concrete road and go straight ahead on a concrete path past the site of Old Garstons House.
J Go through a kissing gate then bear right across a field towards electricity poles. Cross a stile and follow the path through a coppice. Turn left along a metalled track. After 20 yards bear right across a field, passing a solitary tree to your left. Go though a gap in the hedge and follow the footpath for 600 yards to a stile.
K Cross the road and turn left. Just after Mill Cottage bear right along the old road. Cross Kings Mill Lane. Go ahead up Bowerhill Lane. At the top turn right as a small road enters from your left. Just before the road descends turn right between wooden posts. Go through gate and up to a stile. Cross the stile, then follow the path along the hillside. Cross the next stile and continue to the road
L Turn right down the road. After 405 yards, beside house no. 124, turn left across the road. Walk ahead along a gravel track. Cross the still and follow the path up the left side of the field. At the field corner, cross stile and walk with the hedge on your right. Cross two stiles. Turn left, along the hedgeline. Cross the stile, then bear right diagonally to a stile in the right-hand corner of the field.
M Turn right at the road. In 480 yards turn left along a drive, and walk past Colgates Barn Cottages. Walk underthe motorway (M23). Cross the stile and follow the farm track round and uphill for 830 yards.
N Walk past some barns, then, after 27 yards, bear left. Cross the right-hand stile and follow the path between fences uphill bearing right below Castle Hill.
What to see
65 Reigate Park A memorial commemorates Mr and Mrs Randall Vogen's gift of the part to the corporation in 1920.
66 Reigate Priory A priory was founded here in the 13th century for Augustinian canons. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Lord William Howard converted the buildings into a Tudor mansion.
67 Reigate After the castle was built in 1088, a town grew up known as Reigate, 'the gap through which Roe Deer were hunted'. The town replaced the earlier village of Cherchefelle for which St Mary's Church was first built.
68 Redhill The low-lying land, once the preserve of farms and tiny hamlets, was transformed into a residential area by the arrival of the railway - the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway in 1841 and the South-Eastern Railway between 1842 and 1849.
69 Redhill Common St John's Church was built in 1843 on the lower slopes of Redhill Common to provide for the increasing population.
70 Earlswood Common Held by the first Earls of Surrey, this was part of the wastes of the manor of Reigate and remained common land until the 19th century.
71 Nutfield Priory Prominent on the hillside, Nutfield Priory looks like a Tudor building. It was built in 1872 by the architect, John Gibson, as a private house in a style favoured at the time.
72 Redhill Aerodrome The aerodrome was established in 1934 and used to train Imperial Airways engineers. The Redhill Flying Club and an RAF training school were formed in 1937.
73 King's Mill A brick and weather-boarded corn mill with a mansard roof, this mill first appears on a map of 1768. It continued to be run, with water power until 1944, then by electricity until 1963.
74 Nutfield The area has long been known for its resources of fuller's earth, much of which is now exhausted. A nature reserve has been created on the site of old processing plants.
75 South Nutfield Railway Designed by Sir William Cubitt who is said to have taken sightings from the view-point on Redhill Common, it is noted for the straightness of its line.
Castle Hill to Oxted Place
About the walk
- Distance: miles
- Approximate time: hours
A Walk beneath a steep embankment and continue to the road. Cross the road and follow the footpath ahead between the houses to steps leading down to another road. Turn right. In 175 yards turn left at the entrance to a now-disused quarry. B In 22 yards turn left down a track beside a metal gate. Follow the gravel track leaving a pond to your right. In 275 yards turn right along a fenced path to go through old workings. Cross a concrete road and follow the track ahead, ignoring side tracks. Bear left with the track and continue for 850 yards to the road. C Where the road bends left follow the track ahead. Walk past houses along a gravelled track, then continue along a field path right then left for 380 yards to a road. D Turn left. After 350 yards turn right along a bridleway and follow through woods to cross-tracks. Turn right and then left to follow the path below the hill, to reach the road after a thousand yards. E Bear right across the road and continue along a broad track below Brakey Hill for 820 yards, ignoring all turnings to the right until 10 yards before a gate across the track. Here turn right and walk ahead for 300 yards across the field, then bear left towards the top far left-hand corner. Cross a stile and follow the path ahead to the road (B2236). F Cross the road and turn left. Walk for 330 yards to a triangle where the main road bends left. Here turn right to pass Leigh Mill House on your left. Cross a footbridge beside a ford and after 330 yards continue ahead through a kissing gate to the Godstone by-pass (A22). www.surreycc.gov.uk/explore @ExploreSurreyUK map 9 Castle Hill (TQ320505) to Oxted Place (TQ382510) 5 miles, allow 2½ hours G Cross the by-pass and go through a kissing gate ahead. Follow the path ahead for 950 yards to the road at Tandridge. Cross the road and turn right. Turn left after 80 yards and continue along a path to the right of the Barley Mow. H Follow the path round to the left, then bear right up a narrow path to the right of garages. Go through a kissing gate and walk along the top of a field to a kissing gate in the far left-hand corner. Bear right and follow the path ahead.
What to see
76 Bletchingley Castle The de Clare family who were also Lords of Tonbridge built a solid castle here. It was demolished in 1264 during the war between Simon de Montfort and Henry III.
77 Bletchingley (formerly Blechingley) The medieval market took place at the east end of the village near St Mary's Church. The Whyte Horse Inn has stood there since 1388.
78 St Mary's Church, Bletchingley This impressive church has a Norman tower and Perpendicular chapel, arcades and chancel arch. A series of gargoyles give a graphic account of vice and madness.
79 Tilburstow Hill Once the place of Tilbeorht's Tree, the name of this hill has undergone almost as many changes as the valuable woodland which now covers it.
80 Tilburstow Hill Road Carriers who took iron and charcoal from the Weald up this old Roman road were required to carry loads of stone to mend the road as they damaged it.
81 Fox and Hounds Inn This 16th century building with fish-scale tile-hanging on the upper storey was well placed as an Ale House to give people respite before the long pull uphill.
82 Leigh Mill, Godstone Recorded as a corn mill in Domesday Book, abandoned at the time of the Black Death, then used for gunpowder manufacture in the 17th century, the present brick and weatherboarded building dates from the 18th century.
83 Leigh Place Pond Now an SSSI, this pond was first created when the Evelyn brothers dammed the Gibb Brook to maintain a steady water supply for the wheel at Leigh Mill gunpowder works.
84 St Peter's Church, Tandridge A huge yew tree, said to be the oldest and largest in Britain, stands outside the church whose shingled bell tower has stood since around 1300 AD
Oxted Place to county boundary beyond Limpsfield Chart
About the walk
- Distance: miles
- Approximate time: hours
www.surreycc.gov.uk/explore @ExploreSurreyUK map 10
A Continue along a metalled track at the entrance to The Mount. Cross the drive and continue to the road at Broadham Green. Turn left along the road, then right along Tanhouse Road. Turn left and cross a stile opposite The Hay Cutter. Walk along the right-hand side of the field to a stile. Cross, then bear left and follow the path through a kissing gate to a complex of buildings at Oxted Mill.
B Continue to Spring Lane. Turn right along the road and walk uphill to Woodhurst Lane. Cross and go up narrow path on left. Walk for 400 yards between gardens, then along a metalled drive to a T-junction.
C Turn left along the road. After 220 yards cross Rockfield Road and follow the bridleway ahead. At entrance to Limpsfield Common take left fork up to a metalled lane with Limpsfield Common on your right. At St Michaels, cross Wolf's Row and walk over the common to New Road.
D Cross the road and follow the main track over the common to Brick Kiln Lane. Bear right along the road, then after 120 yards take the footpath on your left and cross the golf course diagonally for 50 yards.
E Cross the road taking the footpath to the left of Pains Hill Chapel and follow it to Pastons Lane. Turn left and walk to the end of the road. Turn left along a gravel lane at Pastons Cottage, and continue along the footpath ahead to the road at Limpsfield Chart.
F Cross the road, turn right and walk along the tarmac path for 270 yards. Cross Ridlands Rise and go ahead along an unmade road to another road. Bear left, pass The Carpenter's Arms and follow footway to a T-junction.
G Cross and follow the footpath ahead, then after 250 yards bear left. Follow the path for about 2/3 mile, going over three broad cross-tracks. Bear left at the next junction and continue to a meeting of six tracks at the county boundary. Take the track ahead between houses to the road at Goodley Stock. Cross the road to a stile. Walk across a clearing to a track. You are now in Kent's section of the Greensand Way and can find directions and maps for this at: www.kent.gov.uk/explorekent There are various car parks close to either side of the county boundary.
What to see
85 Oxted Mill A water mill has stood here since the mid-19th century, with an extension built in 1893. This was powered by a turbine and produced much finer flour than before.
86 Old Oxted This settlement mainly lies along one street and contains timber-framed buildings from the 16th century. The Old Bell at the crossroads has an interesting jettied upper floor.
87 Former St Michael's School for Girls The Gothic tower of this red-brick building, built in 1886, provides a landmark for miles around.
88 Limpsfield Common When the Lord of the Manor first tried to establish brickworks here in 1830 he caused uproar among the Commoners who had held rights since the 14th century.
89 The Salt Box This 16th century house may have been used for the drying of salt brought from the south coast on its way to London.