Adoption Service - Privacy Notice
- Name of Service - Surrey Adoption Service
- Directorate - Children, Families, Lifelong Learning and Culture
- Date of Issue - 5 March 2020
- Review Date - 5 March 2021
The reasons why we use your personal data
Purpose/function of the service
This privacy notice applies to the functions of the Adoption service that incorporates/carries out several functions within SCC.
The Adoption service recruits and approves Adopters for children and offers support to all those whose lives have been impacted by adoption.
This includes the following:
- A family finding service for children in need of adoption
- Specialist targeted and non-targeted post order services for families who have adopted
- Assessment of adults wishing to adopt a child from care (agency adoption)
- Assessment of adults wishing to adopt children under a non-agency process
- Counselling and support services - for adopted adults
- Support services for birth relatives- of adopted children
In order for the Adoption service to provide safe services for a range of entitled users we are required to process data to:
- Comply with our statutory obligations
- Enable audit and research activities to review and improve the service provided
What processing of personal data is undertaken by the Adoption Service
Your personal data is collated by Surrey's Adoption Service to secure adoption in a timely manner for children unable to live within their family of origin, or to enable us to provide you with support in relation to your own adoption, your adopted child or the impact of adoption of a relative.
In order to carry out our statutory responsibilities under the different legislative frameworks we collect your personal data for the following:
- Service delivery
- Service improvement and planning
- Prevention and detection of crime/fraud
- Statistical analysis and reporting
If we are not supplied with the relevant data we will be unable to progress an application to adopt and provide support during the adoption process.
What Information do we collect?
Name, Address, Contact details, Date of birth, Occupation, Spouses/Partners/ex partners, Previous Address, Family Members, Friends, Lodgers, Location Information, Dependants, Place of Birth, Salary, Education and Employment History. Job position / Title. Passport Details. Driving Licence. Visa permits number. Vehicle details, Insurance documents. Details of pets.
Ethnic Origin, Religious or philosophy beliefs, data concerning health, exploration of fertility, Sexual Orientation, Criminal Offence, Financial Data, Photograph of an individual. National Insurance Number.
Where we may collect this information from with your consent:
- Other Surrey County Council departments with whom you have been in contact
- Disclosure and Barring Service
- Overseas safeguarding records
- Past and Present Employers
- Social Media
- References (personal and employment)
- Previous partners
- Other professionals involved or previously involved with applicants or their children
- Other Local Authorities and Adoption Agencies
How we are allowed to use your personal data
We collect and use your personal information to comply with our legal obligations under:
- The Adoption Agencies Regulations 2005
- The Adoption Agencies (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2013
- The Adoption Support Regulations 2005
- Education and Adoption Act 2016
- The Adoptions with a Foreign Element Regulation 2005
- The Adoptions with a Foreign Element Regulations 2005
- The Intercountry Adoption (Hague Convention) Regulations 2003
As well as in line with the following legislation:
- Local Government Act
- Localism Act 2011
- Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Mental Health Act 1983, 2007
- Local Safeguarding Children and Adults Boards Regulations 2006 (SI 2006/9)
- Crime and Disorder Act 1998
- Welfare Reform Act 2012
- Children Act 1989
- Adoption and Children Act 2002
- Mental Health Act 1983
To process your personal data, we will explain to you what we are asking you to agree to and why. If we have consent to use your personal data, you have the right to remove it at any time. If you want to remove your consent, please contact us at the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org and we will deal with your request.
Who we share your personal data with
SCC is part of a Regional Adoption Agency made up of Brighton and Hove Council, East Sussex County Council, Surrey County Council and West Sussex County Council – information may be shared with partners for the purposes of joint service delivery.
You can view the privacy notice of Adoption South East online.
We may need to share specific information with other agencies or SCC departments. This may be necessary to facilitate the adoption process e.g. adopters may wish express interest in a child being placed for adoption by another adoption agency who wish to have access to their information, or with Ofsted (in the event of a local authority inspection of children's services.)
We may share personal information with law enforcement or other authorities if required by applicable law.
Personal data being sent or processed outside of the UK and EU
It is possible that we may need to process your data outside of the UK and EU for the purposes of processing adoption applications.
Where in these cases we have to share data outside of the EU, we will ensure adequate protections are made.
- Post placement report provided as a requirement by the responsible authority of the child's country of origin.
- Information concerning children subject to outward bound adoption arrangements (provided via the UK central authority to receiving country central authority).
Retention of data
Data will be retained in accordance with the countywide data retention schedule.
For further information on our privacy notices, please see information and privacy.