Skip to main content

How to make a complaint

We want to learn and improve. Let us know if we have done something wrong or not delivered a service we should have. Anyone can make a complaint. You can do it yourself or ask a friend, relative, or someone you trust to make a complaint on your behalf. Complaints should be made within 12 months. We may consider complaints outside this timescale in exceptional circumstances.

If for any reason we are unable to deal with your complaint or there is a more suitable alternative procedure, such as an insurance claim, then we will let you know and explain why.

What information should you provide?

It helps us to deal with your complaint more quickly if you provide as much information as possible, such as:

  • the location or site of the subject of your complaint
  • relevant dates
  • names of council staff involved
  • any reference numbers you have been given
  • the service you were expecting to receive and how that differed from what you actually received.

It will also help us if you explain briefly what you think we should do to put things right, or how we could have done things differently.

Choose how you would like to contact us

We have described your options below. If your complaint is about social care, Local Education Authority schools or school admissions there are different procedures you must follow. If your complaint does not relate to any of these areas you can send your complaint using any of these ways:

  • Online - Fill in our complaint form
  • Phone - 020 8541 9100
  • SMS - 07860 053 465

What happens next?

Your complaint will be handled under the county's complaints procedure.

The documents below are available for you to download and print.

Files available to download