Connect with the outdoors and improve your wellbeing this winter
Looking after our physical health and mental wellbeing is important for everyone, particularly during the winter months. There are things we can all do in our day-to-day lives that can help to support good health, including connecting to nature.
During January getting outside may not feel like an easy option, but there are many things you can do to connect with the outdoors and improve overall wellbeing, including exploring parts of Surrey's countryside such as the Surrey Hills, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. There are over 2,000 miles of public paths to explore throughout the county.
Healthy Surrey has 31 tips and suggestions on how you can easily increase your connection to nature in Surrey each day throughout January.
Research has proved that paying more attention to your surroundings each day for a week brings sustained and clinically significant improvements in mental health.
Activities such as forest walks, bird spotting and visiting local parks can improve your fitness and mood, reduce the risk of depression, helping you to feel good and function well, as well as helping you grow closer to nature.
Don't worry if some ideas don't feel right for you. See if you can adapt one of the tips, or find some that will work for you.
Read all 31 tips and suggestions on the Healthy Surrey web page.
You can also find out more about the Green social prescribing programme which aims to connect residents to the health benefits of nature and green spaces to improve their wellbeing.
More from health and wellbeing
- Have you registered your Defibrillator?
- It’s time for period dignity across Surrey
- Mental Health Resources
- Boost your immunity this winter
- How to keep well in the colder months
- Surrey launches new online Home Equipment Finder
- Living well in later life
- Wheel of Wellbeing
- Healthy New You
- Is your child up to date with their vaccinations?
- Care heroes celebrated at Surrey Care Awards
- Do you know how safe your new or old electric blanket is?
- Seven healthy habits which can reduce your risk of dementia
- Little ways to look after yourself
- Have your say on Surrey care homes
- Shared Lives programme for adults