Find information and answers to frequently asked questions about our fire, road and water safety sessions.
- What do our school visits offer?
- About the sessions
- How do I book?
- Special educational needs and disabilities
- Contact us
What do our school visits offer?
We aim to deliver innovative, engaging and age-appropriate safety education sessions that will equip young people with the knowledge and skills that they need to keep themselves safe, both now and in the future.
Our school visits include:
- Original content that exactly fits our key safety messages.
- Complements the curriculum and links to PSHE Association guidance.
- Dynamic and pupil-led sessions, encouraging questions and collaboration throughout.
- Learning that is interactive, inclusive, and easily applied beyond the classroom.
- Inclusive and accessible to all with adaptations and alternatives available.
We have created detailed lesson plans that will challenge and educate the pupils in an accessible and engaging way, whilst recognising how different children learn and the range of teaching strategies required to ensure all pupils can achieve the learning outcomes.
About the sessions?
How many pupils can be in one session?
Sessions are delivered to a maximum class size of 34.
We do not deliver our sessions to whole year groups as we find that interactive workshops with smaller groups allow for a better learning experience than assemblies or lectures where opportunities for questions are often limited
Who delivers them?
- The Early Years Foundation Stage fire safety session for Reception comprises two distinct parts. Firstly the children enjoy and explore the Early Years Learning Box in class, then a crew from your local fire station will visit the class to consolidate their learning.
- The Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 fire safety school visits are delivered by our Education Officers.
- The Key Stage 3 fire safety and water safety sessions are delivered by our Education Officers.
- The Key Stage 4 and Key Stage 5 road safety session Safe Drive, Stay Alive is delivered as part of a multi-agency presentation at Dorking Halls or via an online film.
What not to expect
- Fire crews to attend in a fire engine. The crew visit is only part of the Early Years fire safety session for Reception. All other sessions are delivered by our Education Officers.
- Fires to be set in the playground. We do not set any fires as part of our sessions.
We provide a free Fire Safety Education Programme on the mutual understanding that a teacher will remain present in the classroom at all times and will be actively involved in managing student behaviour throughout the session.
We ask that all students in the classroom adhere to the following ground rules:
- To treat each other with kindness, fairness and respect
- Allow others to learn and not be disruptive to the class
- Mobile phones will be kept out of sight and will not be used during the session
If we, as external providers, believe the behaviour repeatedly falls below the accepted level the session may be terminated.
How do I book?
All our sessions are available to book Monday to Thursday, term time only.
Sessions are approximately 45 minutes for Key Stage 1 and 60 minutes for Keys Stage 2 and 3.
A selection of start time windows are available. When booking, please select the start window that best suits your requirements. You will then be prompted to specify a time in your chosen window.
Please give at least seven days notice or email the Education Officers to check if we have any late availability at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How far in advance can I book?
Bookings are available a term in advance and open from the start of half term the previous term.
Can we book multiple sessions in a day?
In most cases one Education Officer will attend the school and can complete a maximum of three separate sessions in a day. One session equals one class with a maximum of 34 children.
Early years - Only one crew visit as the crews will be on active duty and need to be available to attend emergencies, even if this means leaving a session early.
If you would like to make an enquiry about block bookings or book for more than 6 classes please email our Education Officers at email@example.com
How much does the session cost?
All of our sessions are free.
Make a booking
- Early Years Learning Box and crew visit to Reception
Please note that all of our crews are operational and may be required to attend an emergency at any time. This may impact their ability to arrange and attend school visits.
If you would like to book, please complete our Early Years enquiry form and a crew member will be in touch to discuss your sessions.
- Key Stage 1 (Year 2), Key Stage 2 (Year 5)
Please use the Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 booking system to book one session per class with a maximum of 34 students.
- Key Stage 3 (Year 7) fire or water safety sessions
Fire safety sessions are available from the Autumn term to the February half-term. Water safety sessions are available from the February half term to the end of the Summer term.
To make a booking please complete our Key Stage 3 enquiry form.
We provide free Fire Safety Home-Education Resource Packs for Early Years Foundation Stage, Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2.
The packs contain a selection of fun, engaging resources that you can use to learn about the fire service and fire safety at home.
To request a pack please email the Education Officers at firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
Accessible to all
All our sessions can be adapted to meet the needs of children and young people with additional needs. Our Education Officers will work with you prior to the visit to identify the children's specific needs and provide suitable adaptations to ensure all pupils can achieve the learning outcomes.
This could include:
- Adapted resources (large print, coloured paper etc)
- Transcripts and subtitles for media resources
- Alternative activities
- Length of session
- Sharing materials in advance for adaptation by you
For more information or to discuss your requirements email our Education Officers at email@example.com
SEND school fire safety visit
We offer fire safety sessions to Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) schools throughout the year.
In collaboration with teachers, we design and deliver tailored sessions that are accessible, inclusive, interactive and meet the needs of your pupils.
To discuss your requirements and make a booking please email our Education Officers at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about any of our school visits or resources please email our Education Officers at email@example.com