Payments and benefits available for you and your disabled child

There are three areas of benefits and payments, which you and/or your disabled child may be entitled to.

  • Direct payments given to you as a parent of a disabled child to pay for a service your child may need, instead of us arranging that service.
  • Financial benefits including the Disability Living Allowance, Carers Allowance and Universal Credit.
  • Adaptations a Disabled Facilities Grant may be available to help you make necessary alterations to your home.

Direct payments

A disabled child is eligible for a direct payment if he/she is eligible for a service. Payments will be paid into a Pre Paid Account (PPA) which you will be able to use in the same way as a current account. Eligibility is determined by assessment of the child and family's needs. If you are interested in direct payments, talk to your social worker or family support worker. For more information and advice contact Surrey Independent Living Council (SILC) and refer to their guide about direct payments.

Financial benefits

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

This is a tax-free benefit for children and adults who need help with personal care or have walking difficulties because they are physically or mentally disabled. Visit for more information, eligibility and how to claim DLA.

Carer's allowance

If you care for your child for more than 35 hours a week and they receive DLA, you could be entitled to a carer's grant (the grant is available to anyone who spends more than 35 hours a week caring for someone who is disabled). Visit for more information, eligibility and how to claim carer's allowance and read our money matters for carers advice page.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit replaces Child Tax Credit and Income Support for new applicants. You can use a benefits calculator to see if you are entitled to support via universal credit.

Help and information

The Contact for families with disabled children website can give you more information about your entitlement to any of these benefits.


You can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant from your local borough/district council if you need to adapt your home for your child, to provide better freedom of movement and/or to provide essential facilities within it. For families of disabled children under 18 there is no means testing. An occupational therapist looks at each circumstance and recommends the adaptation(s) needed.