What is 'Trading Standards Approved'?
When a trader scheme offers a trading standards approved accreditation it means they are working closely with one or more trading standards teams to ensure that their vetting criteria and operation of the scheme meet, minimum standards set by trading standards. We have found that each scheme actually exceeds these standards in different ways depending on their priorities.
In addition, trading standards will have ongoing involvement in the operation of the scheme to input into the vetting process and ensure it remains robust with members operating in a legal, honest and fair way.
Find approved traders
Buckinghamshire & Surrey Trading Standards provide you with a choice of approved traders through partnerships with:
- Checkatrade - see link for more information, email: email@example.com or phone: 0845 408 4866.
- Trustmark - see link for more information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 0333 555 1234.
A separate scheme operated primarily by Devon Trading Standards continues to operate in both counties under the branding of the Buy with Confidence scheme.
How to become an approved trader
Customers value the reassurance provided by Trading Standards Approved and you can proudly display an accreditation which has the added independence of a local regulator.
To become an approved trader with any of these schemes, and display their trading standards approved mark, you must meet the membership criteria and pass the rigorous background checks.
Each schemes website hold details of what is required and how to apply. Follow the links to find out more.
Benefits for traders
Each scheme is different in their offer to businesses. Each may provide a different range of services inclusive in the membership fee. However they will all provide the benefit of marketing, combined with the sought after 'Trading Standards approved' status, which offers consumers the reassurance they need when looking for local tradesmen. Other generic benefits for businesses are:
- Having "Surrey and Buckinghamshire County Council Trading Standards approved" Mark.
- Well managed and regular online feedback from your customers.
- Scheme promotion and advertising.
- Web page profiles about your business
- Marketing support materials including vehicle vinyls, graphics for the schemes Trading Standards approved logo for stationery.