Supporting businesses is at the heart of our high level Corporate Strategy for 2012 - 2017. One of our ambitious goals is that Surrey's economy is strong and competitive. Supporting new and small businesses is key to achieving this.
A key aspect of our focus is on partnerships. Through this we will be able to play our part in working with business partners to improve Surrey's competitiveness as the economy recovers.
Our priorities for 2012/13 include supporting Surrey businesses by shifting up to 60% of council spending to them. And work towards ensuring all businesses, households and community organisations can gain access to super-fast broadband. Improving the county's roads is another priority that will benefit businesses.
Find out more about how we:
- Help our local businesses plan for and quickly recover from disruptions
- Help businesses work better and become greener
- Provide information for businesses
- Hold and support business events
- Involve businesses and listen to their needs
- Support skills improvement and employment
- Work in partnership with business organisations
If you want to find out more about how Surrey County Council supports businesses, please use the Contact the Business Involvement Team webpage.
Award contracts to businesses
- Surrey County Council has worked with partners to create Supply2Surrey, an online resource for all businesses who wish to work with the public sector in Surrey. The aim of this resource is to offer more opportunities to suppliers and 'keep spend local'.
- As part of efforts to boost the local economy, Surrey County Council and partners have also launched Build Surrey. This construction and built environment network gives small, local construction-related businesses free tools to trade, find suppliers, create new partnerships, advertise and access other services online.
- How to become a council supplier
- The tender process - help for contractors and suppliers in applying for contracts and tenders at the county council
- Tenders and contracts for larger and EU-regulated purchases as advertised via the Surrey County Council Procurement e-Sourcing portal
Help our local businesses plan for and quickly recover from disruptions
- Advice on Business Continuity Management
- Who can help with food complaints - including enforcement of the Food Safety Act 1990
- Trading Standards business advice
- Basic fire service advice - Fire safety for businesses and organisations.
- Company Travel Plans
- Essential trading laws - basic information on trading law
- Checkatrade and Surrey Trading Standards approved traders scheme
- The essential business waste guide for Surrey businesses
- Economic Profile of Surrey
- Surrey Local Economic Assessment
- The Worklessness Assessment
- Surrey-i, your insight into Surrey
- New environmental legislation
- Information for businesses, including advice and guidance on international trade
- Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership
- Enterprise M3 Local Enterprise Partnership
- Gatwick Diamond
- Surrey Chambers of Commerce
- Visit Surrey
- Have your say
- Submit questions and petitions to Local committees
- Help Surrey to get Superfast Broadband
- Federation of Small Businesses' Small Business Engagement Accord
- The Institute of Directors Memorandum of Understanding
- Surrey County Council has sought to boost the number of people undertaking apprenticeships in the county
- Supply2Surrey aims to match firms with apprentice applicants
- 14-19 Education and training