Skip to main content

Applying for a licence for fireworks

If you are thinking of selling and storing fireworks, to do so you will need to apply to Trading Standards.

What are the terms and conditions?

Before applying for a Licence to store fireworks or other pyrotechnic articles please study the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) guidance documents on storing and selling fireworks safely.

The HSE have published a separate guidance leaflet for storing and selling pyrotechnic articles safely. For more detailed guidance on the 'Explosives Regulations 2014' please refer to the HSE guidance on fireworks in retail premises.

How do I apply for a licence?

New legislation came in on 1 October 2014 and a registration is now known as a licence.

To apply for a fireworks licence please complete an online application form via

Please contact Trading Standards if you have any queries.

For an up to date list of fees please see the Trading Standards fees and timescales page.

If you are applying for new licence we will consider visiting your premises to assess its suitability before processing your application. We may also need to inform the local planning authority, and consult with Surrey Police and Surrey Fire & Rescue.

What if I have any queries, concerns or complaints?

If you have queries, concerns or complaints about your application, please contact Trading Standards.

Files available to download