Coronavirus: Important information
Please read the following information before progressing:
- Death registrations – All death registrations are now over the telephone. You will not be required to attend the register office in person. Please see our death registration guidance page for more information.
- Marriage and Civil Partnerships - Unfortunately we are not able to carry out any marriages or civil partnerships until at least the 1 June 2020. Please see our marriage and civil partnerships guidance page for more information.
- Birth registrations - Unfortunately we will not be able to carry out any birth registration appointments for the next 21 days. This will come into effect from Tuesday 24 March 2020 onwards. You can make a claim for child benefit or universal credit prior to the birth being registered. The 42 day requirement to register a birth has been relaxed and no action will be taken if you have not registered within that time frame.
- Certificates - We are currently only able to process certificate applications where the certificate is required for urgent legal or administrative purposes. We can issue a maximum of 3 certificates per person only. We are not able to deal with applications for certificates for the purposes of family history research at this time. If you require additional certificates, you can order certificates from the General Register Office.
Thank you for your understanding at this difficult time.
A renewal of vows ceremony is for couples who are married or in a civil partnership and wish to celebrate their time together and confirm their commitment to one another. It can be as formal or informal as you want and is unique to the couple.
Terms and conditions
Your ceremony booking is accepted on the condition that:
- Proof of marriage or civil partnership is provided when booking your ceremony.
- A renewal of vows fee is payable for your ceremony.
Please read in full our ceremony bookings - terms and conditions.
Please note the renewal of vows ceremony has no legal standing. This allows each couple to create a celebration unique to themselves.
- Speeches, readings and music from your original ceremony may be given or played again.
- Changes in your lives can be acknowledged, allowing your children and/or grandchildren to contribute.
- New promises may be made to reflect your plans for your continuing future together.
- Old rings or tokens may be rededicated or new rings or tokens exchanged.
- To mark your special day a commemorative certificate will be presented to you and your partner.
Booking your ceremony
You can pre-book your ceremony or make an enquiry regarding your ceremony, by completing our ceremonies enquiry form above. Our ceremonies office will then check availability and respond to your enquiry within two working days.
All ceremony fees will be payable in full at the time of booking. Fees are subject to change on the 1 April each year. Please see our webpage: Fees for other types of ceremonies.
Please complete the relevant ceremony checklist online no less than six weeks prior to your ceremony date. The ceremony checklist will provide us with the details of your celebration, such as your choice of vows or promises, music and readings.
Files available to download
- Suggested renewal of vows ceremony readings (40.6 KB)
Selection of readings for a civil renewal of vows ceremony