Coronavirus: Important information
Please read the following information before progressing:
- Death registrations: All death registrations are now over the telephone. You will not be required to attend the register office in person. See our death registration guidance page.
- Marriage and Civil Partnerships: Further to the Prime Minister's announcement on 28 May 2020, there has been no change to the Government's decision to suspend all marriages and civil partnerships until further notice. In England and Wales, legislation does not provide for marriages or civil partnerships to be contracted / formed by telephone, online or by video conference and there are no current plans for this to change. More information will be made available following further government announcements on the Gov.uk marriage and civil partnership website. See our marriage and civil partnerships guidance page.
- Birth registrations: Unfortunately we are not able to carry out any birth registration appointments until further notice. You can make a claim for child benefit or universal credit prior to the birth being registered. The 42 day requirement to register a birth has been relaxed and no action will be taken if you have not registered within that time frame.
- Certificates: We are currently running a limited service and are only able to process copy certificate applications that are essential, such as for legal proceedings, job recruitment etc. You should also note that we can only issue a maximum of five certificates per person. Please do not apply for copy certificates for the purposes of family history research at this time. If you require certificates for other purposes, please contact the General Register Office who should be able to supply certificates for you.
Thank you for your understanding at this difficult time.
A renewal of vows ceremony is for couples who are married or in a civil partnership and wish to celebrate their time together and confirm their commitment to one another. It can be as formal or informal as you want and is unique to the couple.
Terms and conditions
Your ceremony booking is accepted on the condition that:
- Proof of marriage or civil partnership is provided when booking your ceremony.
- A renewal of vows fee is payable for your ceremony.
Please read in full our ceremony bookings - terms and conditions.
Please note the renewal of vows ceremony has no legal standing. This allows each couple to create a celebration unique to themselves.
- Speeches, readings and music from your original ceremony may be given or played again.
- Changes in your lives can be acknowledged, allowing your children and/or grandchildren to contribute.
- New promises may be made to reflect your plans for your continuing future together.
- Old rings or tokens may be rededicated or new rings or tokens exchanged.
- To mark your special day a commemorative certificate will be presented to you and your partner.
Booking your ceremony
You can pre-book your ceremony or make an enquiry regarding your ceremony, by completing our ceremonies enquiry form above. Our ceremonies office will then check availability and respond to your enquiry within two working days.
All ceremony fees will be payable in full at the time of booking. Fees are subject to change on the 1 April each year. Please see our webpage: Fees for other types of ceremonies.
Please complete the relevant ceremony checklist online no less than six weeks prior to your ceremony date. The ceremony checklist will provide us with the details of your celebration, such as your choice of vows or promises, music and readings.
Files available to download
- Suggested renewal of vows ceremony readings (40.6 KB)
Selection of readings for a civil renewal of vows ceremony