Skip to main content

Other types of ceremonies

Coronavirus: Important information

Please read the following information before progressing:

  • Death registrations: All death registrations are now over the telephone. You will not be required to attend the register office in person. See our death registration guidance page.
  • Marriage and Civil Partnerships: Further to the Prime Minister's announcement on 10 May 2020, there has been no change to the Government's decision to suspend all marriages and civil partnerships until further notice. In England and Wales, legislation does not provide for marriages or civil partnerships to be contracted / formed by telephone, online or by video conference and there are no current plans for this to change. See our marriage and civil partnerships guidance page.
  • Birth registrations: Unfortunately we are not able to carry out any birth registration appointments until further notice. You can make a claim for child benefit or universal credit prior to the birth being registered. The 42 day requirement to register a birth has been relaxed and no action will be taken if you have not registered within that time frame.
  • Certificates: We are currently running a limited service and are only able to process copy certificate applications that are essential, such as for legal proceedings, job recruitment etc. You should also note that we can only issue a maximum of five certificates per person. Please do not apply for copy certificates for the purposes of family history research at this time. If you require certificates for other purposes, please contact the General Register Office who should be able to supply certificates for you.

Thank you for your understanding at this difficult time.

Marriage in a church or other religious building

If you would like a religious marriage ceremony, you can get married in an Anglican Church or any other church or religious building registered for marriage.

More about Marriage in a church or other religious building


For a marriage or civil partnership overseas, you will need to find out what procedures are required by the local authorities in the country you have chosen, in order to ensure your marriage or civil partnership is legal.

More about Marriage or civil partnership overseas

Civil partnership to marriage conversion

You are able to convert a civil partnership to a marriage by completing a declaration before a superintendent registrar, with all the required documents.

More about Civil partnership to marriage conversion

Urgent Marriage or Civil Partnership

Urgent marriage or civil partnership (Registrar General's Licence) is when the Registrar General can authorise marriages or civil partnerships to take place at short notice in circumstances where one of the parties is seriously ill, not expected to recover and cannot be moved.

More about Urgent Marriage or Civil Partnership (Registrar General's Licence)

Marriage and civil partnership of housebound or detained persons

Under the Marriage and Civil Partnership Act it is possible to hold a marriage or civil partnership in a place where a person is housebound or detained if they are unable to be moved.

More about Marriage and civil partnership of housebound or detained persons

Renewal of vows

A renewal of vows ceremony is for couples who are married or in a civil partnership and wish to celebrate their time together and confirm their commitment to one another. It can be as formal or informal as you want and is unique to the couple.

More about Renewal of vows

Baby welcoming ceremony

Celebrate the birth of a baby or welcome adopted or stepchildren into your wider family circle. This secular ceremony is designed as an alternative to a religious celebration.

More : Baby welcoming ceremony