Skip to main content

Other types of ceremonies

Marriage in a church or other religious building

If you would like a religious marriage ceremony, you can get married in an Anglican church (Church of England or Church in Wales)any other religious building registered for marriage.

Renewal of vows

A renewal of vows ceremony is for couples who are married or in a civil partnership and wish to celebrate their time together and confirm their commitment to one another. It can be as formal or informal as you want and is unique to the couple.

Baby welcoming ceremony

A baby welcoming ceremony is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the birth of a baby or welcome adopted or stepchildren into your wider family circle. This secular ceremony is designed as an alternative to a religious celebration and whilst it has no legal standing, it creates a special event at which to gather together family and friends for a dignified but relaxed occasion.

Civil partnership to marriage conversion ceremony

You are able to convert a civil partnership to a marriage and you have two choices. For either you will need to complete a declaration before a superintendent registrar, with all the required documents.

Urgent marriage or civil partnership (Registrar General's Licence)

The Registrar General can authorise marriages/civil partnerships to take place at short notice in circumstances where one of the parties is seriously ill, not expected to recover and cannot be moved to a place where a marriage/civil partnership could normally take place. This is known as a marriage by Registrar Generals Licence.

Marriage and civil partnership of housebound and detained persons

There are provisions under Marriage and Civil Partnership Act whereby it is possible to hold a marriage or civil partnership in a place where a person is housebound or detained if they are unable to be moved to somewhere that is licensed for ceremonies.