Guildford Register Office as a ceremony venue

Coronavirus: Important information

Notice of marriage and civil partnership will continue to be carried out by face-to-face appointments at Guildford, Leatherhead and Weybridge Register Offices for couples that have a ceremony booked before 30 June 2021.

Further to the Prime Minister's announcement of 22 February 2021, marriage and civil partnership ceremonies cannot take place before 29 March 2021, except in exceptional circumstances. Restrictions on marriages and civil partnerships will start to be eased from 29 March 2021.

For more detailed information please visit marriage and civil partnership ceremonies during the coronavirus outbreak.

Front fascade of Artington Court

Our ceremonies

Guildford Register Office, also know as Artington House, offers the following ceremonies:

Our interior and grounds

This south-facing house is set in its own grounds in a semi-rural situation on the outskirts of Guildford. The interior of the house still retains some of its original features, including several fireplaces and offers a very desirable ceremony suite.

  • Number of rooms: 1
  • Capacity: Couple and 6 guests.
  • Parking: There is a car park for guests and a further car parking is available on Saturdays at the front of the house.
  • Ceremony room: The large ceremony room is furnished in blue and cream Regency style, with beautiful candle and pendant-style chandeliers..
  • Ground floor: The ground floor has a general reception area.
  • Garden: The garden has a rose arbour, a terrace and stone garden furniture.


  • Facilities for people with disabilities are on the ground floor.
  • Steps descend to the car park for guests.


History of Artington House

It is one of eight houses built in the early 1860's by Richard Shepard, an insurance broker, on land purchased from William Elkins, a brewer and former three times Mayor of Guildford. It is a fine example of elegant mid-Victorian architecture, complete with gables and wisteria.

A large family home, former tenants have included a Colonel and an Assistant Inspector General of the Royal Irish Constabulary. Surrey County Council acquired Artington House from Miss Marion Shepard on 14 March 1934 for the current use of the Registration Service.