Chairman of the County Council
About the Chairman's role
The Chairman's role is a-political; the post is elected annually; the post-holder must be a serving County Councillor; they are the Civic Leader of the County Council.
The Chairman is responsible for:
- Presiding over Full Council meetings.
- Promoting the priorities and services of the County Council.
- Encouraging community involvement in the Council's activities.
- Representing the County Council at Civic and Ceremonial events.
- Inviting individuals and organisations' representatives to County Council events.
Mrs Sally Marks is our Chairman.
Our Vice Chairman
Mr Nick Skellett is our Vice Chairman.
More about Mrs Marks
Mrs Marks was first elected in May 2001 and since then has held, amongst others, the following roles:
- Chairman of the Children and Young Peoples Select Committee
- Chairman of the Adult Social Care Select Committee
- A member of the Police Authority
Mrs Marks held the Portfolio on the Executive for Adult Social Care with responsibility for Health for four years, chaired a Public Value Review into Services for People with Learning Disabilities and has chaired the Tandridge Local Committee.
Mrs Marks is currently:
- Patron of Home-Start Surrey
Ambassador for Surrey Community Foundation
- A champion for St Catherine's Hospice
- Director and Company Secretary of family travel business
Mrs Marks's background is in both broadcasting - she was a newsreader and presenter on the BBC World Service and also on radio and television in the Middle East - and business.
Mrs Marks represents the council at a large number of events, including royal visits, presenting awards, for example the Duke of Edinburgh's Awards, opening new buildings and projects and taking a keen interest in and supporting community activities across Surrey and the wider south east.
Mrs Marks is happy to:
- support activities within the county council and beyond
- be invited to present awards
- officially open new buildings and projects
- visit County Council teams in their local offices
If you have an event in the future, which you would like the Chairman to attend or visit, please contact the Chairman's Office on 03456 009 009 or email the Chairman's Office at email@example.com or write to The Chairman's Office, Surrey County Council, Room 109, County Hall, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 2DN.