Skip navigation View desktop version

Surrey County Council

What's behind the website banner?

General enquiries: 03456 009 009

Text size

Help tools

Site search

Global navigation

Equipment and adaptations to help you stay in your home

I need help with practical everyday tasks

If you have a mobility problem or a disability, which makes it difficult to get around or to do everyday tasks we may be able help you by providing equipment or adaptations that can make it easier for you to live independently, and more safely, in your own home.

Equipment that can make it easier to manage at home includes:

  • Chair/bed raisers
  • Bathing equipment
  • Raised toilet seats

Changes that can be made to your home include:

  • Stair or grab rails
  • Ramps
  • Door widening
  • Repositioning or changing kitchen or bathroom fittings

If you are unsure of the equipment you require, you can self assess using our Self Assessment Tool. This can help you find the equipment you need to live independently at home.

Can I receive equipment from Surrey County Council to help me live independently at home?

You will need an assessment of your needs to see if you meet our eligibility criteria to receive equipment. For an initial assessment of your needs call us on 0300 200 1005, or complete an online enquiry form.

If you meet our criteria, a member of Surrey staff will contact you to arrange an appointment at your local equipment clinic for an assessment. At the clinic we will complete a full assessment of your needs and arrange for any aids or adaptations you may require to be delivered. If you are unable to attend a clinic, we will complete the assessment in your own home.

What does the occupational therapist do?

Occupational therapists help people who have difficulties with practical everyday tasks and can give you advice on disability equipment or housing adaptations. They work with people who are physically impaired, have a medical condition, mental health need or a learning disability. 

You may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant towards the cost of adapting your home. Please also see Grants for adaptations for more information.

You will need to contact your local GP for walking aids such as:

Useful websites:

Page information

  • Updated: 03 Jun 2013
  • Claire White
  • Send to a friend



Please rate this page