Skip navigation View desktop version

Surrey County Council

What's behind the website banner?

General enquiries: 03456 009 009

Text size

Help tools

Site search

Global navigation

Housing-Related Support in Surrey

A guide to Housing-Related Support in Surrey

What is Housing-Related Support?

Housing-Related Support offers a 'preventative' or 'low level' service and encourages independence for vulnerable people. It means a person receiving support can remain living in their own home. It is not personal or 'home care'. Housing-Related Support was previously known as Supporting People.

The Adults Commissioning Team at Surrey County Council work with providers to ensure quality is delivered to individuals, legal requirements are adhered to and development and growth of providers is aligned with Surrey County Councils strategic plans for the future. These requirements are identified as a result of seeking views from people who use services and their carers and providers.

Providers for Housing-Related Support help with activities such as:

  • Completing forms
  • Finding employment or voluntary work
  • Building social networks
  • Accessing services such as doctors, dentists etc
  • Managing money
  • Claiming benefits
  • Developing domestic and/or social skills
  • Being safe at home

People are encouraged to link with other services in the community. For some this means they become less isolated and more independent; for others, the support provided might offer that little bit extra which means they can remain independent.

The service aims to help people to improve their circumstances. People using the service are encouraged to take part in education or training, live a healthy lifestyle, achieve economic wellbeing, and to make a positive contribution to the community.

People using the service do not have to be eligible to receive social care to have access to this funding. If, however, somebody needs more intensive support, this may be covered by funding from Adult Social Care alongside the Housing-Related Support.

Who can have the service?

The service is designed to help vulnerable people in the community, typically:

  • People who have experienced domestic abuse
  • People with mental health support needs
  • Frail, older people with support needs
  • People with drug and alcohol problems
  • Young people leaving care
  • People with physical, sensory and learning disabilities
  • Teenage parents
  • Homeless people or people at risk of homelessness

How is the service delivered?

Support Workers will work with the person receiving support. They will visit the person's home at an agreed time and help with essential life skills identified as being needed in the person's support plan.

Types of service

The service is delivered in two ways:

Floating support services – for people living in their own properties (rented or owner-occupier). They can access Housing-Related Support in their local area by:

If you would like to apply for a Housing Related Floating Support service for people with learning disabilities in the County of Surrey, please find the application form below. For more information about this service please contact Housing Related Support tel: 020 8541 8719

Accommodation-based services – support is delivered through the accommodation and/or tenancy, and is often provided by the landlord – quite often a social housing landlord, who would have a contract with Surrey County Council to provide the support, as well as the accommodation.

The Housing-Related Support service works closely with partners to commission these services including borough and district councils, Probation Service, Children, Schools and Families and Public Health. The contracts with providers are monitored for quality, and how well they deliver positive outcomes for individuals using the services.


The local borough and district housing advice team can advise and signpost to all the services for all client groups commissioned and funded by Surrey County Council.

The Surrey County Council Contact Centre can provide details of schemes that are local and suited to each client: Contact Number - 03456 009 009 (8am - 6pm).

Surrey Information Point also provides a list of services

People can also refer themselves. Housing teams at the borough and district councils can make referrals and some have nomination rights to some schemes. If you are in contact with Social Care, including the Community Mental Health Recovery Service (CMHRS) or Community Drug and Alcohol Team (CDAT), they can make referrals. Providers will assess for support needs, and agree a support plan and outcomes to be achieved with an individual.

What does it cost?

The provider of support will have a contract with Surrey County Council and will be paid directly.

Short-term services (where support does not usually last longer than two years): An individual is not charged for support costs but will be charged rent. In practice the majority of people receiving this service will have their rent met by Housing Benefit.

Long-term services: A long-term service is offered through supported accommodation. The individual lives at the property and receives support from the same provider. The main criteria required to be able to receive this support is that the individual must be in receipt of Housing Benefit.

Support is funded if an individual is receiving Housing Benefit. If somebody is on a low income but not in receipt of Housing Benefit, they may be eligible for help with their support costs under the Fairer Charging rules. Application forms are available from support providers or Surrey County Council, and an assessment is carried out by Surrey County Council Benefits and Charging Advisers. If an individual is not eligible for Housing Benefit or Fairer Charging they will have to pay the support charge themselves. They will pay this money direct to their provider or landlord who will let them know how much they have to pay. If their situation changes and they start to receive Housing Benefit, they or their provider should let Surrey County Council know.

Contact the team

For further information please contact:
Housing-Related Support
Surrey County Council
Adult Social Care Commissioning Team
Quadrant Court
Guildford Road
GU22 7QQ
Tel: 020 8541 8719

Who is in the team:

  • Sarah Thomas, Programme Manager
  • Peter Floyd, Commissioning Manager, Mental Health and Socially Excluded
  • Matthew Lamburn, Commissioning Manager, Older People
  • Danielle Bass, Commissioning Manager, Learning Disabilities

Adult Social Care help line

Call the Adult Social Care helpline on 0300 200 1005 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm). For information about Adult Social Care including an online enquiry form, visit the Surrey County Council Adult Social Care web pages.

Surrey Information Point

Surrey Information Point: 'Housing-Related Support – working in partnership with vulnerable people to make everyday tasks easier'

Useful Information for Providers

Performance Indicator Workbook

Providers are required to complete quarterly returns. These should be submitted to The timetable for quarterly returns is attached: Returns should be submitted no later than two weeks after the deadline. If you are having difficulty making a return please contact your Commissioning Manager.

The workbooks to be used are attached: Short term, long term and long term fixed value

St. Andrews Data

Providers are required to complete outcomes returns. For completion and guidance please see the St Andrews website. Collection of outcome data is key to showing the benefits of investment in Housing-Related Support.

Occupancy Reports:

Providers with subsidy contracts must notify us of all new tenants and all tenants who have left or moved on to another property or service by the 14th of every month to ensure accurate and timely payments. The attached form must be completed and returned to


We currently fund a number of leaseholders with support charges. We are not accepting any new applications. For those who receive this payment we will contact you once a year to make a yearly payment. If you/your relative no longer need this funding please notify us at


From 2014 the Partnership Working Group will replace the Joint Management Board. These meetings will take place three times a year and each meeting will focus on one theme. The current order for these meetings to take place is as follows:

Partnership Working Group

The next meeting is at 2pm on Tuesday 16 December at Woking Borough Council offices. The focus of the meeting will be provision for the young people client group chaired by Catherine Butler.

Further dates to be confirmed.

Our address

Housing-Related Support
Adults Commissioning Team
Quadrant Court
35 Guildford Road
GU22 7QQ

Payment information

Providers can log in here to access their Remittance Schedules.

Files available to download

Page information

  • Updated: 05 Aug 2014
  • Sarah Thomas
  • Send to a friend



Please rate this page