Do I need a licence to open the public highway?
A private company wishing to open the public highway for any reason, must have a road opening licence from us, in the name of the owner of the apparatus being installed. Everyone excavating or working on the highway must have accreditation for the work he or she is carrying out.
What are the terms and conditions?
Before submitting your application form, please read the terms and conditions enclosed with the application form below.
How do I apply for a licence?
Please allow a minimum of 30 days notice from the date we receive your application, to allow time to inspect the site and process all documentation.
The necessary application form 'Section 50/ 184' can be downloaded from the bottom of this page or you can request an application form by contacting us via our contact centre. It must be completed and returned to the relevant highway office, along with the necessary documentation and fee.
Return to top
How much does the licence cost?
- Licence fee is £145
- Deposit (according to the size of the opening, including works in the verge etc):
a) Less than 10m2 £865
b) 10.1m2 – 15m2 £1,585.
c) 15.1m2 – 20m2 £2,207.
d) 20.1m2 – 25m2 £2,871.
e) Greater than 25.1m2 Determined locally.
- Inspection charges – Three Stages of inspection at £54.00 = £162.00. (Please note a definition of each stage are enclosed with the application form below)
- If a defect is found at Stages 1,2, or 3, each additional inspection carried out to check a satisfactory repair will be charged at £54.00 each to the maximum, of £162.00. The guarantee period will re-commence from the date of the satisfactory completion of the defect.
- Work cannot be carried out at night, weekends or bank holidays unless the licensee is prepared to pay additional (overtime) costs.
What documentation and information is required?
All applications must be accompanied by the following:
- Plan showing location of works and engineering layout.
- Planning permission is applied for from the appropriate district or borough council.
- Construction details.
- Traffic management details for sites with engineering difficulty.
- Public Liability Insurance details for a minimum value of £5 million.
- NRSWA accreditation for supervisor.
- NRSWA accreditation for operative.
- Section 106 from Thames Water Utilities (where appropriate).
- Cheque made payable to Surrey County Council for licence fee (£145), appropriate deposit amount (see fees) and inspection charges (£162).
What if I have any queries, concerns or complaints?
If you have queries, concerns or complaints about the licence, you can contact us via our contact centre either online or by telephone
. For further details on logging a comment, compliment or complaints
please see our website.
If you have any queries, concerns or complaints about the location or safety of materials on the public highway, please either contact us by telephone via our contact centre or report them online directly to us.
Return to top