The sixth bridge across the River Thames at Walton on Thames opened to traffic at 5.47am on Monday 22 July 2013 after eighteen months of construction works. This is the first permanent bridge across the River Thames in this location since 1864. Although the new bridge opened in July 2013, a considerable amount of work has been undertaken since to complete the entire project including the removal of the two redundant bridges; construction of new roads, combined footways/cycleways and bridleways; installation of accommodation bridges in the Cowey Sale; construction of a permanent cafe and toilet building and landscaped the entire site which was all completed by 24 October 2014.
The completed bridge looking from Walton Lane
The new Walton Bridge looking from the Shepperton embankment
The new Cowey Sale viaduct and bridleway linking the A244 with Walton Lane and the Cowey Sale car park
The renovated 1864 built Cowey Sale viaduct
New cafe/toilet building
The new café/conveniences building constructed as part of Surrey County Council's Walton Bridge project has been transferred to Elmbridge Borough Council. Before the building can be fully opened, there are some outstanding items which Surrey County Council and their contractors are currently working on.
While the repairs are being carried out and in response to feedback from local residents, Surrey County Council have installed temporary toilet facilities which will remain in place until the new building's facilities can be fully opened. Elmbridge Borough Council and Surrey County Council are continuing their efforts to work together to resolve the issue permanently.
Information from the previous meeting that took place on 16 April 2014, can be found on the Walton Bridge Community Meeting page.
We have details and drawings regarding the project on the links below.
If you have any questions regarding any part of the Walton Bridge project please contact us.
Files available to download
- Walton Bridge Scheme Plan (437.6 KB)