Gertrude Jekyll, Artist, Gardener, Craftswoman
- A talk by Professor Michael Tooley
- Saturday 18 May 2013 at 2.30pm
- At Surrey History Centre, 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, GU21 6ND
- This talk will mark the 170th Anniversary of Gertrude Jekyll's birth and the occasion of the exhibition at The Lightbox in Woking celebrating her life and work. It will also include recently discovered material in archives and salerooms enhancing further her reputation as an artist, gardener and craftswoman.
- Tickets are £5
- To book, please call Surrey History Centre on 01483 518737 or email email@example.com
- Presented by Surrey History Centre and The Lightbox
Free drop in family activities
Tuesday 28 May – Saturday 1 June 2013 during normal opening hours
At Surrey History Centre, 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 6ND
Come along to Surrey History Centre to find out about the gross and gruesome foods of history! Enjoy fun crafts, a quiz and other activities!
Parents/Guardians are responsible for supervising their children
Telephone 01483 518737
Long Live the Art School!
- Free display in the foyer at Surrey History Centre, 130 Goldsworth Road Woking, Surrey GU21 6ND
- Tuesday 20 August – Saturday 21 September 2013 during normal opening hours
- Surrey History Centre is hosting a display from the archives of the University of the Creative Arts to celebrate the history of tertiary art education in Surrey, from the late nineteenth century to the 1970s.
Women in arts and technical education in Surrey, 1890-1920
- A talk by Dr Stephen Knott, Founder Postdoctoral Fellow in Modern Craft from the Crafts Study Centre, University of Creative Arts, Farnham.
- Saturday 14 September 2013 at 2pm at Surrey History Centre, 130 Goldsworth Road Woking, Surrey GU21 6ND
- Dr Stephen Knott has been researching the late nineteenth and early twentieth century history of craft and technical education.
- This is a free event but seats must be booked in advance as places are limited. To book, please call Surrey History Centre on 01483 518737 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Surrey Museums Month
April to September 2013
Surrey Museums Month this April links in with the 2013 county-wide heritage food theme: 'Flavours of Surrey'. Surrey's museums will have a free I-spy challenge from April and all through the summer for children and families to find as many food artefacts on our I-spy leaflet as possible. Find out more about the challenge on www.surreymuseums.org.uk, or visit the Surrey Museums website to discover more about Surrey's museums and their events all year round.
Identification and recording of finds
Come along to Guildford Museum and see David Williams, Surrey Finds Liaison Officer for the Portable Antiquities Scheme. For metal detectorists and other finders of objects of archaeological interest. Second Saturday of each month 11am to 1pm at Guildford Museum 01483 444750
Surrey History Centre made easy
Why not join us at Surrey History Centre for an informal tour of the search room? This half hour informative tour includes an introduction to using the indexes and catalogues, how to explore the maps and library and how to order documents from the strong rooms. First Tuesday each month 10am to 10.30am. No need to book. Free of charge.
Join the Surrey Heritage mailing list to receive information about talks, courses, events and displays
Some past events