Skip navigation View desktop version

Surrey County Council

What's behind the website banner?

General enquiries: 03456 009 009

Text size

Help tools

Site search

Global navigation

Funerals cremations and burials

You should register the death as soon as possible.

Funeral directors

Most people choose to use a funeral director. Friends, family, clergy or your doctor may be able to suggest local funeral directors with a good reputation for you to use. If not, most local companies are listed in the Yellow Pages. Remember, their charges can vary considerably and you may want to get more than one quote to compare costs. It is best to choose a funeral director who is a member of one of the following trade associations. Both organisations have codes of practice and members must give you a price list when asked.

Arranging the funeral yourself

Council cemeteries and crematoriums in Surrey are run by the district and borough councils. You will need to contact them to make arrangements for a burial or cremation. They may also be able to give you advice on alternative funeral arrangements.

Paying for a funeral

If you are on a low income and need help to pay for a funeral you are arranging, you may be able to get a funeral payment. How much you get depends on your circumstances and if you qualify. Please visit the web site.

Moving a body out of England or Wales

Only the Coroner can give permission for a body to be moved out of England or Wales. This permission should be obtained at least four days before the body is to be moved (although the coroner may be able to give permission sooner) so that any necessary enquiries may be carried out.

Body donation for medical education

If you are considering donating a body for medical education you may wish to contact one of the following organisations who will be able to advise you:

London Anatomy Office (for the London area)

Human Tissue Authority (for outside the London area)

Scattering ashes

Many people scatter ashes in a location of special significance to the deceased and the family. There is usually no restriction although you should seek the permission of the landowner first.

Page information

  • Updated: 04 Jun 2014
  • Jenny Holland
  • Send to a friend



Please rate this page