Skip navigation View desktop version

Surrey County Council

What's behind the website banner?

General enquiries: 03456 009 009

Text size

Help tools

Site search

Global navigation

Tax and National Insurance for registered childminders

As a registered childminder you are self-employed and must register with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) within three months of starting work. You may not need to pay income tax if you earn less than your tax allowance but whether you have to pay or not you must keep accurate tax and business records. And you must fill in a self-assessment form if one is sent to you even if you think you have nothing to pay.

Visit the HMRC website for loads of information about tax and national insurance for people who are self employed and to find out how to register your business. You may be eligible for tax credits. To find out if you qualify visit the HMRC tax credit website.

HMRC have a Tax advice for childminders e-learning course that tells you more about tax, National Insurance, business records and expenses.

HMRC also run free webinars (online presentations) once a month that give a basic guide to key tax and National Insurance issues affecting self-employed childminders. Live webinars are available on set dates and times, last for one hour and include an opportunity for you to ask questions. You need to register in advance for live webinars by visiting the HMRC website. 

The same information is also available as a pre-recorded webinar that lasts 10 minutes. You can view this anytime, just click the play button below.

Page information

  • Updated: 10 Feb 2015
  • Pauline Jacobs
  • Send to a friend



Please rate this page